God's right hand.


I was over the moon last night at the Collector’s Opening of the Rochester Potter’s Invitational. I saw this Japanese man with red round glasses picking up my pots. He resembled Hamada.  Like an idiot I went over and said “ Those pots are glazed in a shino glaze. He said “ I know!”. He then said you make very good handles. Not many potters can make good handles.  I then said “ Oh, are you a potter?” Yes,  he said I have been told I am one of  the best handle makers in England but that is not true “I am the best handle maker from Britain! My jaw then dropped to the floor and I said “Are you Takeshi Yasuda????” It was God himself in my presence shaking my right hand. Takeshi is doing a residency at Alfred University. He can make 500 completely different handles in a morning. I have loved his work forever it seems. My favoutie work was his San Cai series.
He was back today sitting in on demos and taking notes. He is one of the best potters in the world in my opinion. So I shoke hands with greatness this weekend. I hope it rubs off. I am humbled by the beautiful work in this show and my being in the presence of a pottery God





.

Comments

Cambria Pottery said…
What a great thrill to meet someone whom you respect and admire, taking a close look at your own work.
smartcat said…
It's times like these that make everything worth while!
Anonymous said…
Thought for a minute it might be Hamada himself!

Great experience. Wow!
Anonymous said…
Great intro to Yasuda at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MSxEAekY1U

Even more in awe!
Unknown said…
Love bumping into like souls! You were so meant to meet! Enjoy each moment ♡
Unknown said…
Love bumping into like souls! You were so meant to meet! Enjoy each moment ♡
RANDOLPH said…
Great experience. I recall buying an early tea cup in stoneware from a gallery in Bath, UK and have enjoyed recently buying a piece on EBAY. Love his work.
...dh said…
After reading your piece I wanted to know more about the man and found the Goldmark film "Takeshi Yasuda: Made in China" on YouTube. The documentary was nicely crafted, educational and well done, well worth watching. Where it crosses the line to being great was the money shot at the end. In the the last few minutes Yasuda tells us how lucky he was to be a potter. In a very sensual way and in few words he explains his love for clay coming to tears in doing so. ...dh
RANDOLPH said…
The videos from that Gallery called Goldmark are always worth watching and feature potters like Phil Rogers and a lot of others. I started watching the "You Tube" one on Takeshi Yasuda.
I think Tony has studied with Michael Casson, from Wales at some part of his background. I love pots and potters.

Popular Posts